Types of Grants

All applicants should be resident in the Borough of Gosport.

Relief in Need

Grants may be given to:

  • Help and support the poor and needy of Gosport, including providing tools or equipment
  • Provide furniture, bedding, white goods, heating, etc for people in need
  • Pay travel expenses for hospital appointments or admissions / discharges
  • Provide appliances for the disabled, handicapped or infirm

The Charity cannot pay rates, taxes or other public funds although it may supplement relief or assistance provided by public funds or benefits.

Applications for Relief in Need Grants

The Trust strongly recommends that all applications are made through one of the many Agencies who provide advice and assistance to those in need. The Agency should submit the Thorngate application forms, or their equivalent forms, to the Clerk to the Trustees.

If an individual applies direct, or has been directed to The Thorngate Trust by a web-based debt counselling service, all information provided will need to be verified by Gosport Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB). An Application Form is available to download. This should be completed to the best of your knowledge and taken to the local CAB Office with supporting documentation.

All applications must, where possible, include a legible copy of photographic identification, e.g. driver’s licence, passport etc. Failure to provide this will not necessarily result in your application being denied but it may prolong the assessment and decision process.

Relief in Need Application Form

Thorngate Trust has an arrangement with Gosport CAB that they will verify an application which they will then pass to us. Alternatively, if you call into the CAB Offices at the address below during opening hours, they can provide an application form which will be completed on their premises:

Gosport Citizens’ Advice Bureau
Martin Snape House
96 Pavilion Way
PO12 1GE

Tel: 02392 520112

Gosport CAB Website: www.gosportcab.org.uk/

Educational Grants

Thorngate Trust will consider applications for assistance towards further education and vocational courses. In the past, grants have been made for contributions to fees for veterinary school, ballet or drama courses, and theological college fees etc.

Applications should be made directly to the Clerk and it is customary for the Trustees to meet with an applicant and/or student to discuss their plans. The Charity does not provide ongoing support or commit itself to renewing support on future occasions (although it will give consideration to repeat applications in future years).

Educational Grant Application Form

All applications for Education Grants should be made to the Clerk to the Trustees by email or post:

The Clerk
Thorngate Trust
52 Brooklands Road
Havant PO9 3NT

Email: info@thorngatecharity.co.uk

Community Based Appeals

We will generally consider applications for fund-raising activities which will benefit the Gosport community as a whole.

In the past these have included:

  • Resurfacing of Thorngate Hall car park
  • Contributions to church refurbishments
  • Contributions to the establishment of the Beacon Trust
  • Contributions to school projects such as swimming pools etc.

All applications for Community Based Appeals should be made to the Clerk to the Trustees by email or post:

The Clerk
Thorngate Trust
52 Brooklands Road
Havant PO9 3NT

Email: info@thorngatecharity.co.uk